In this episode Kelly DiNardo and Heather chat about her journey as a freelance journalist, author, podcast host and owner of a yoga studio. Kelly shares so much wisdom about balancing two businesses, working from home as an extrovert, hiring, and so much more.
“It’s all about the people. I’m only as good as the people who are around me.” – Kelly DiNardo
Who is Kelly DiNardo?
Kelly DiNardo is a freelance journalist and the author of several books including Living the Sutras: A Guide to Yoga Wisdom beyond the Mat, which gives readers a modern, accessible and personal look at ancient yogic philosophy and the wisdom found within. She is also the producer, editor and co-host of the Living It podcast and owner of Past Tense yoga studio in Washington, DC.
As a freelance journalist, Kelly specializes in exploration – whether it’s internally through yoga and meditation, physically through health and fitness, culturally and socially through profiles, or the myriad ways travel brings all of that together. She has written for O: The Oprah Magazine, Martha Stewart Living, Health, The New York Times, National Geographic Traveler and others.
- 1:55 Kelly’s journey as a freelance journalist and opening a yoga studio.
- 7:35 The challenge of working in the changing news/magazine industry and being a freelancer with the global reach of the internet
- 10:22 Learning to build a business as a freelance writer
- 14:50 Using the Law of Three to focus your business directing
- 18:10 Set 2 to 3 goals to keep you motivated and moving forward
- 19:17 Balancing two different types of businesses
- 23:10 Working from home as an extrovert
- 25:15 I’ts all about the people
- 29:10 Business owners need to be “public and visual” in today’s market
- 33:00 Learn to understand when your gut reaction is motivated by truth or fear
- 35:00 Hire employee careful and learn the skills to interview. Test people out first if you can
- 40:41 Learn more about Kelly’s business, her book and her podcast Living It.
- 44:55 Kelly’s favourite quotes: “You can do physical postures of yoga and never practice yoga and you can practice yoga without ever doing any of the physical postures. – Rod Stryler
- 45:40 Kelly’s parting message: “Just do it! Take the leap!”
“You can not be a business owner and not think about your P&L (profit & loss) statement. No matter what that looks like, if you are one person/self employed company or not.” – Kelly DiNardo
Living The Sutras: A guide to Yoga Wisdom Beyond the Mat by Kelly DiNardo and Amy Pearce-Hayden
Connect with Kelly:
Living It Podcast: https://livingitpodcast.com/
Connect with Heather:
Join our Facebook Community: Ready For More! Women Business Owners Circle
Free 5 Day Productivity Program: www.igniteyourmarket.com/takecontrol/
Download Your Should Buster: www.igniteyourmarket.com/shouldbuster