Yesterday was my monthly Art Studio class, it my treat to myself. It is a place of community, exploration and creativity. I’ve been taking drawing classes with the same amazing teacher Allison Fagan for 3 or 4 years now.
We had a great studio day and I was thinking today of the commonality between being an artist and an entrepreneur. Here are my top 5 piece of advice to be success as either one:
- Get out of your own way! – If you keep telling yourself you can’t do it, you won’t be able to do it.
- Allow yourself to be creative! – Human’s have an amazing capacity to create! – In business, artistically or personally we have the ability to create value. We can take something normal and turn it into something valuable.
- Allow yourself to make mistakes! – We make mistakes; we learn from them and we are better for it! – Perfectionism stops us from providing value to the world. Be it creating art or providing a business service, if we wait until it perfect it will never be done.
- Create a community of support! – The value of a community of like-minded people that are supportive, share your passion, help you learn, give you suggestion and celebrate your successes is PRICELESS.
- Just try it! – I remember taking my first class and thinking I’d never be an artist but I kept going and look at what I was able to create. The same is true in the business world; you have to try new things in order to create something of value.
Another one I’d add is it takes time, experience and practice to be good. For an artist it is a lifetime journey and I think it is for an entrepreneur as well.